Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Haven't used this in awhile and the successes of accidentally hitting enter on blank posts

2 Peter 1: "But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who brought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction."

So I'll just get into some things that would be going on. First off, I have a personal resolution, and that is to write, every single day, for one year, in my blog. Now, this is January 6th. Internet was set up at the new house here yesterday, so as of right now, this is the first of the next 365 posts. Some days won't be much, others will be.

Ok, so I started with that verse up there at the top. Let me explain why:

Very long story very short, I was going to read my bible tonight and I wanted to find something to read. I navigated over to www.biblegateway.com (very good bible site, they have so many different versions it's crazy, many different languages too). Anyway, the verse of the day is from 1 Peter.

"Ok, lets read 1 Peter then, I know that's a shorter chapter anyway."

So here I was, sitting in my chair, with a new back massager Mike and Lindsay got me. They are so awesome to me, but I digress. I mean, seriously, it's got a heater and everything...crazy!

Ok, really got off topic there as I turned up the speed to high. It's like a muse.

Back on topic:

So I ready through 1 Peter, when I came across the verse I found there in Chapter 2, I realized that this would help greatly in a email discussion I have been having with my mom.

Long story long, my mom has always been interested in spiritual things. It's tricky to describe, because she believes in God, and as far as I know believes Jesus to be God's son, yet at the same time believes there to be ghosts, blessings and curses, and conspiracies regarding the bible. This brings us to the primary topic of Dan Brown's book, The DaVinci Code. There was a conspiracy in that book regarding Jesus and Mary Magdalene (sp?) such that the 'truth' is that they had a son and a lineage, and the Knights Templar are a shadow organization which protects said secret. Oh, and things get hairy when the characters in the book find out because this 'truth' would absolutely cripple Modern Christianity. So, my mom sees the movie for the first time, and sends me an email about it, saying she thinks it's true, that the Catholic Church has been purposefully trying to keep people from a relationship with God, and that it makes sense.

Enter me....3 weeks later. After I got her email, I read over it a few times but wasn't sure how to respond. I did not then or now have all the answers to the situation. However, in the past I have read Holy Blood, Holy Grail (I still have the book somewhere). Basically, it's the book Dan Brown utterly and completely plagerized. If I'm not mistaken, he did get out of a lawsuit made by the authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail by claiming his work was fiction. Actually, I probably am mistaken, but I do remember him using that as part of a defense.

Ok, so I had read my book, so I already knew a fair bit about the situation. Yet, I didn't feel comfortable approaching her about it because I didn't just want to lord over her that I'm right, she's wrong, and she'd have to deal with it. No. I wanted to at least offer some good reason, and was trying to find a particular website, which I couldn't find at the time. 3 weeks after I initially read the email from her, I found the website again and immediately got it over to her...with and essay that was more written by the Holy Spirit than myself. I basically shared everything I believed about Christ, and why I felt the position taken by those works was incorrect. The website information I gave her is this: http://www.y-jesus.com/

Addendum: I had to make some corrections but did not correct my story, purposefully. I believe error should be seen for what it is. The bible gateway verse is out of 1 Peter. I, not thinking, read 2 Peter. Above verse was thusly corrected at THIS point.

Additionally I addressed a website she had listed in her email: http://www.thetruejesus.org/
She stated this website made some sense and had some information about how to pray better and become closer to God. I had pointed out this website contained some real problem points, one of which is asking people to pay money for the secret system of Jesus. Additionally, the site states Jesus did not die on the cross. I won't go into the biblical side of it, but his death on the cross is somewhat hard to counteract in truth. It is far easier to attack the resurrection, but the point of this website was to claim he never died. As far as Christianity goes, Christ HAD to die, else his purpose lay unfulfilled, regardless of how 'awesome' he might have been. I shared with her all that information, and also stated at the end that I wish could convince her who Jesus was.

Her next email asked me why I felt I needed to convince her of anything. I haven't replied yet because I didn't have any good reasoning immediately. I've come up with a few things, and this verse from 2 Peter is helpful as well.

That's all for tonight. I think this writing thing is gonna be real good for me.

1 comment:

Korryn said...

Yay! More blogging....I'll have to start mine back up, especially now that I have more time--at least for now. Oh and keep me updated on your mom.... it seems several of us are having amazing opportunities to minister to our parents!!